Skip to main content

Last Days

2 Timothy 3:1-5

"But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God--- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them."


These verses give us a concise but graphic overview of powerful and evil attitudes driving this world toward the brink of annihilation. We have all been victims to some degree of these ungodly attitudes. We cannot escape being affected by them, and even after conversion, it is difficult to fend them off. This overriding way of life has an invasive way of forcing one to concentrate attention on self-satisfaction. It leads one to believe that life, government, employer, or society owes him a living. A strong sense of obligation to serve others, especially freely given service, and loyalty are major victims of its onslaught because it produces the attitude that one is owed rather than that one owes.


Notice how many of the descriptors given in these verses directly relate to focusing on the self. Self-satisfaction is the foundation, the launching pad, and driving force that motivates sin. It is sin's very essence. We should not be deceived into thinking that God does not want us to have any satisfaction in life, but we should rather understand that human nature, aided by Satan, easily allows conduct to get out of control and finds satisfaction beyond the bounds of righteous standards. God wants satisfaction to be produced differently in us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speak the Truth Even If Your Voice Shakes

“The word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” “Alas, Sovereign LORD,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.” But the LORD said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the LORD. Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth. See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.” Jeremiah 1:4-9 

Bible Verse on Hope

But the needy will not always be forgotten, nor the hope of the afflicted ever perish. Psalm 9:18 Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD. Psalm 1:24 But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, Psalm 33:18 May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you. Psalm 33:22 "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you." Psalm 39:7 For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth. Psalm 71:5 My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:81 May those who fear you rejoice when they see me, for I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:74

Blessed are those....

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6